JetBrains Idea is my favorite IDE and I love it! It has allthe necessary features for java/kotlin developer out-of-the-box. Even in Community Edition you’ll find a lot of them! Difference between Community and Ultimate editions is with a set of plugins from JetBrains available. Native plugins are well tested and work like a charm, in contrast with Eclipse, where you have to do install/configure some extra plugins before you can start coding. I mean maven integrations (.m2eclipse).
For commercial plugins there are some free alternatives e.g. Database Navigator for database support. There are some more free plugins useful both for Community and Ultimate editions.
Here is my list:
- Docker Integration
- BashSupport if you need to write Bash scripts.
- Database Navigator
- Line Sorter and Property Sorter plugins for managing file contents.
- Markdown – the Markdown language support.
- RegexPlugin – very convenient RegExp editor/tester with regexp reference.
- Remote Synchronizer for quick deployment and file synchronization over SFTP/FTP.
- SonarLint helps you detect and fix quality issues as you write code.
- Visual VM Launcher to start your application from Idea with JVisualVM attached.